ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 10:13:42 -0400
According to todays Bangor Daily News, plans are progressing toward building
a 7,500 seat arena in downtown Bangor...

http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.cfm/ID/401312/cfid/5688503/cftoken/89900732

Which Alfond events could be shifted to this arena ?  Certainly not matches
like the out-of-conference games next year against the Little Sisters of the
Poor, but certainly you could punch out the extra seats for games against
the Univ. of Nocturnal Hijinx

I fear the Alfond skybox revenue stream might be impaired by the new arena
marketing their luxury boxes to the same clients as now occupy the Alfond
heights.  Not enough deep-pocket firms in greater Bangor I think could
afford two sets of these, and the ticket revenue from only 2,000 +/- extra
seats in a new Bangor venue might not be enough to compensate for Alfond losses.

Like I've said, my checkbook is ready to purchase a third Maine jersey...

BTW, speaking of polls, how about we solicit our own ideas for a new UMass
mascot ?

I thought they could make money by tieing into the new Press Your Luck
gameshow on cable TV and call themselves the Whammies....  I kinda like the
red animal that looks like the Tasmanian Devil...