From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:05:06 -0700
--- "Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At the risk of getting run out of the country on a rail, let me point out that playing anthems,
> whether only ours or many, is an innovation of the latter half of the 20th Century.  Let me ask
> this:  What purpose is served?  Is it an expression of patriotism?  If so, why do we insist on a
> display of partriotism at the beginning of a sports event?

One thing's for sure -- Minnesota had better learn the Austrian nationl anthem quickly.  :^)

I understand that this is a non-answer, but I think that the answer may be that there is no way
that we could stop the tradition now.

I remember once attending a movie, on-base, with a relative in the service.  Just before the movie
started, the flag was projected on the screen, and the national anthem played.  It seemed strange
to me, but now as I reflect on it, it's not any stranger than playing the national anthem before
an athletic event, which is another form of entertainment.

What IS the right time and place to play it? If it were not played at athletic events, how often
would we hear it?  My guess is, that if it were not played at athletic events, most people
wouldn't recognize it, and they certainly wouldn't know the words.  For that reason if no other, I
think that, unless someone can come up with a good reason NOT to do play it, it's a worthwhile
tradition.

As for the music itself, yeah it's hard to sing, but it sounds just fine when played.  Three pep
bands did it just fine at Buffalo (the recorded version of "Oh, Canada" was awful, though).  The
good thing to see was (other than the Cornell fans emphasizing "red") the crowd was quiet and
respectful all the way through both anthems.

Clay