EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:19:28 -0500
Carroll,
At this point, Jon has agreed that there was no vitriol in my first reply
to his post, only a straightforward suggestion that he reread a poem he
admittedly did not recall the details of -- and that, only if he would like
to engage me in discussion of it.

For me to have said such a thing should not put a damper on good
conversation. (Nor should it have raised an ad hominem attack.) To look at
a thing closely before offering an opinion of it should be a basic element
of EPOUND-L etiquette.

The "conversations" we have on this newsgroup are not like those we have,
say, in a train car, where we may say something merely to keep the palaver
going out of politeness or the desire to avoid an awkward silence. Here in
cyberspace there's no immediate need to "keep it going" -- there's plenty
of time to read, in this instance, a 112-line poem, before one ventures an
opinion of its "metaphysics". We're not stuck in a train-car together.

We can agree to disagree if you think list etiquette and train-car
etiquette are identical. I'd prefer to get back to Pound and to poetry that
may have influenced him.  In my second post to Jon, I attempted to draw a
connection between The Wanderer and "Exile's Letter".  I'd be happy to
discuss either poem, or both poems, with anyone who has taken the time to
read them.

Tim Romano