ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:46:31 -0500
James Acheson wrote

>I AM a Jimmy fan, but I am also realsitic, I think.  i understand
>wyh Jimmy was pulled aginast UMass ... but pleawse exp[lain to me
>why he started teh next night?  Doyle had 2 shut outs against them
>this season.

Frank had 2 wins, but not two shutouts, Jimmy had the first shutout
at home 1-0 vs. UMass

>I just believe that they team is able to play better in from of
>DOyle than in front of Howard at this point... it is not that I
>think Jimmy is not good.  He will be unbelievable in a little while,
>but as a Freshman, he has shown that he has some growing to do.
>Remember after the BC games when someone on here posted that Bruce
>MAjor and one other Maine player... Beers?  said that Jimmy was
>already Maine's best goalie ever??  well????  he is not... not at
>this point.  not even the better of the 2.

I was the guy who posted that Bruce Major and Mike Golden both felt
Jimmy was the best goaltender in their estimation, that Maine has
had.  I must say based on the way he played at times this season,
particularly the first half, I tend to agree.  He stole games for
Maine that would not have been W's in past years and when he is on
his game he's the best.  I will also state that I feel confident with
Frank in net also, but from strictly an ability standpoint Jimmy gets
my vote.

>I think teams have figured him out a little... i.e. that he never
>goes down.  he is lookig to make a "position" save and not an
>acrobatic, floppy one.

I think confidence and bad puck luck which resulted in goals and more
lack of confidence as well as fatigue had more to do with this.  If
you are a fundamentally sound goalie there really is no figuring you
out.  I don't understand, if he is in posistion does that mean you
shoot thinking he'll be out of position?  Rebounds, tips, and
crashing the net are how you beat almost any goalie.

and Yeah Morrison would have been my pick against Minn.  I still
remember the Hobey goal... the one that went in low and to the
goalie's left... Morrison would have made the save only becaue he
would have given up the angle... even though it was a great shot.

James you gotta let this go, maybe Morrison makes one save and does
not make a save that Yeats made, at this point it's ancient history,
and it's the price you pay when you have two good goalies.

So who's going to Ann Arbor???  Make some noise for the rest of us!!!!!!!

Bob Fitta '83

--
Bob Fitta
Director of Advertising