EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:42:16 -0600
My response to the below post takes off from Ezra Pound's flat-out
detestation of war, which has been attested to on this list just recently
with a posting of relevant verses from the Cantos, and which was what
attracted me to him in 1950 and has kept me convinced ever since that the
warfomenters in the West are the real betrayers. That our true Western
(certainly American) instinct as to "les autres" is to live and let live. It
is enough to see to one's own conduct. To take a God-like stance and presume
to know how history is to be managed and what "must" be done violently to
save the day, is as near madness as I care to come. 1600 years ago Augustine
wrote about the two cities, man's and God's, and the hallmark of man's is
the desire to dominate, libido dominandi, the lust for, the thrust to, power
and wealth. We now are at the end of the Nietzsche anti-Christ craziness
which puts madmens' drive for control in place of any reverence for the way
or the Tao or the truth. We have given up principle for gross economic
expediency and are giving up liberty for God alone knows what, and the
probable payoff in blood and ruin is beyond imagining. Presumably the
juggernaut is unstoppable, but if Pound had been listened to in the 1940s
and 1050s or at any point since, we would not be in the present mess.
Anti-semitism is the biggest red herring in the whole business. Forget that,
and concentrate on war makers, war mongers, munitions makers, and usurers.
No doubt vastly more nominal Christians, or at least goys, in that lot than
nominal Jews, which I rather think is all that Perlman is. I would give much
(if I had it) to stop the present rush to war. If we turn out the Western
light of reason and charity and faith and hope and humility, what conscience
could we be said to have left? Tom White