EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Brennen Lukas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:07:02 -0500
Tim,

Thank you for your in-depth response to my thoughts.

I apologize if I seemed to suggest that all of Pound's poetry is as "high
toned as Stevens' old Christian woman. Clearly this is not the case, as you
have aptly demonstrated.

However, I still believe that Pound's sheer number of classical references
is worthy of note. I'd be the first to admit that I do not share the poet's
ethos in terms of languages and mythology. The problem with Pound is that if
one doesn't share his extensive classical education, then one cannot fully
grasp his images without referring to other texts. The meaning is not fully
contained in the poems.

Therefore I go back to my central question: To what extent did Ezra Pound
write in the "language of common speech," as others in his circle espoused -
sometimes with great success. Also: How can one get to images when the poem
refers to so many other works other than itself? Is Pound's poetry "hard and
clear?"

My questions are ones of Imagism.

Brennen