EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:16:11 -0700
Tim and Brennen

Another excellent poem for study is "The Return".  This is a very early, pre
"Des Imagistes", poem which Pound considered to be one of his first
"Imagism" poems.  I have an unannotated note that Yeats thought this the
best free form poem he had read. The poem is on page 69 of "Personae.  Pound
writes about it on page 85 of "Gaudier-Brzeska".

Concerning Pound's discussion of "The Return", he says it is a "Objective
Reality" and refers to Epstein's sculpture "Sun God" and Brzeska's sculpture
"Boy With a Cony" as also being "Objective Reality".  For the life of me I
cannot find a central theme between the three.  I would be very interested
in what anyone thinks an "Objective Reality" is and how it links the three.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM