EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:36:13 -0500
Rick,

    Following this vein whether it should lead to alchemical success and
GOLD or to a large deposit of fool's gold/ dross I found this fascinating
excerpt on "poor old Upward", who some would say went downward, in Ezra's
letter to Harriet Monroe 1914;
    "Mr. Allen Upward, whom you have printed to your honour, was, as
proconsul in Nigeria, always careful to explain to the natives that
Christianity was not the universal religion of England and that there were
many who looked upon it as a degrading superstition. I know that he
performed at least one 'miracle' by means of a Gnostic gem*, and reconverted
at least one Mohammedan."-Pound
    The aftermath of the discussion here makes it comforting to see that one
is in the good company of some old modernist holdouts not so willing to go
for the torches and pitchforks at the first innuendo of anathema that
someone is whispering dangerous and seditious secrets sub rosa.
    And Carrol you forgot crop circles and other semiotics.

Charles

*probably refers to Upward's "seal Sitalkas" (Canto 74) a gem seal depicting
the god Apollo with grain (See Pausanias 10.15.2)

    "Sitalkas, double Sitalkas
    'not the priest but the victim'
  said Allen Upward
knew something was phoney, when he (Pellegrini)
    sd/ : the money is there." -Canto LXXVIII

"War is the maximum sabotage. The game of inflate and deflate is played in
the whole OF SERIES of wars, staged one after another." -Ezra's supplement
to his Sworn Statement, May 8, 1945