EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:05:25 -0700
Brennen

You still haven't answered my question.  Who was a better Imagist than
Pound?  Not Amygist; Imagist.

We've had one suggestion.  The obvious one; H.D.

Many more candidates both pre and post "Des Imagistes" exist.  Was Dante
ever an Imagist?  Was Shakespeare? How about the objectivist, Robert
Creeley?  What about some of Richard Wright's Haiku?  Li Po?

Some of Pound's best Imagism is buried in other poems.  Read the last two
lines of "Provincia Deserta".  The first 3 lines of section 11 of "Homage to
Sextus Propertius" is an Imagist Haiku.  Others abound through-out
"Personae" and hunting "The Cantos" for Imagist sub-poems is very rewarding.

These are not questions from an academic.  I am not an academic.  I am just
an old codger trying to finally begin to learn a little art and I truly want
to know your opinion.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM