ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:40:27 -0400
The following clip is from today's Portland Press Herald:
----
The Eastern Junior Hockey League recently honored Saco natives John
Laliberte and Sean Tremblay.

Laliberte received the league's Offensive MVP award after compiling 103
points for the Manchester Junior Monarchs. Laliberte will go to Boston
University in the fall.
-----

Since we are now in the off-season, I thought I'd introduce a different
topic.  Home-grown talent playing elsewhere.   Matt Libby of Saco
(Providence) is another recent example, and we all know about Travis Roy..
there are others I just can't think of their name right now.

It seems as more Maine hockey players are developing, they are choosing to
play for other schools other than Maine.  I wonder why that is?

Here are some random thoughts:
- Does UM not actively recruit Maine players?  If they do, do they try to
sell less expensive in-state tuition instead of scholarship money?

- How is UM's reputation in southern Maine?  After moving to the
Portland-area this past summer I've noticed a huge difference in how the
university (and the hockey program) is regarded down here.  Night and day,
and not good for UMaine IMHO.  I wonder if there is a stigma, and a place
like BU (*gasp*) looks more appealing to a young player.  It's hard to
imagine a young hockey player in Maine would rather play for BU than Maine,
but perhaps that speaks to the attitude toward UMaine in southern Maine.

- I would think Tim Whitehead would be a good fit to appeal to local kids,
especially after Maine's success this season and that stability has been
added back to the program.