EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:04:58 -0400
If I understand Maya's use of "synchronicity" correctly, the simple
answer is that Pound's is not a chronologically organized epic but
one in which events that have occurred at different historical times
are presented alongside each other in a timeless "space" in which
the connective tissue is that of moral equivalency.
==Dan

At 09:45 PM 07/01/2002 +0500, you wrote:
>Dear Poundians:
>I am doing my MA in American Studies and I've started studying the
>''Cantos''. I haven't chosen the exact angle or perspective to deal with
>this broad phenomenon yet. I am now trying to understand it just as one
>whole epic poem and then decide on the particular approach.
>It would be very nice of you if you could explain to me how exactly is the
>synchronic method expressed in ''Cantos''? You know, I read that the Chinese
>poetry is synchronic and Pound took this very synchronicity from it. But I'd
>like you to tell me more exactly what it means. Moreover, I can't understand
>why English language can be admitted to have diachronic sense (opposed to
>Chinese poetry).
>Thanks,
>Maya.

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN IN THE WORLD AND OTHER
MISFITS, may be ordered online at http://www.aardwolfpress.com/
"Perfectly-crafted gems": Jack Dann, Nebula & World Fantasy Award winner

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island