ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:18:11 EST
> ... BC's season is most likely over, ...

   They still have their end of season banquet.

> ...  These wins should bolster Maine's NCAA tournament chances.

   Maine showed they could put away a less-talented and more injured
   team, quite convincingly.  Matt Yeats was *very* good in goal and
   Morrison did what he has done time and again: win.

> Lucas Lawson netted a goal with the goalie out to tie a Maine record
> with goals in 8 consecutive games.

   Lucas shares the record with Ron Hellen, I believe.

>Conrad Hache (clearly one of the worst referee's in Hockey East in the games
>I've seen in person this year -- not including this game).

   I disagree.  You may argue with what he calls for penalties (not
   much), but I think HEA has rather excellent referees overall, and
   Hache may soon be considered one of the best (once he decides to call
   holding and interference a bit).

Hache, who had
>called one penalty all game whistled BC assistant captain Dolinar for
>roughing with about two minutes to go.  The Maine radio guys did not see the
>play, but I *HOPE* it was a deserving call.

   I didn't see it either, but it must have been!  ;-)

>Regardless, my feeling is that while Voce should have shown more poise,
>Hache could have given him a break.

   And perhaps he did.  This sounds like (referee) lynch-mob mentality.
   "Hache could have given him a break".  Hache certainly gave BC a
   break when he allowed York a chat on the bench (on artificial
   noisemakers), and later gave Maine a break when someone from the
   balcony threw a hot-dog on the ice to interrupt play (they could have
   offered it to me!).  ;-)

>                                 ...  This series was important for Maine's
>confidence and I think will be better having played BC in the quarterfinals.

   Without winning this series, Maine's season could well have been over.

   Instead, the "freshmen line" of Ronan, Falco and Murphy continued to
   impress and got important, critical minutes to boost their experience
   and confidence.

cheers to the Maine team, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/