Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:39:36 -0600
On 17 Mar 2002, at 17:57, Doug Peterson wrote:

> Michigan has defeated Michigan State 3-2.  This appears to resolve the
> issue of who is being sent where, at least for byes.  This puts New
> Hampshire and BU into the East byes while Denver and Minnesota have
> the West byes.

On the contrary, I think this muddies things.  It was pretty clear,
IMO, that if Michigan State won, they and Denver would be the
western byes (Denver as the #2 overall, Michigan State as the #4
overall and also conveniently within driving distance of Ann Arbor),
with Minnesota coming east.  Now, the committee has to resolve
the conflict between New Hampshire's status as the #1 overall
seed, the desire for 1-4 / 2-3 matchups in the semis, the fixed 1E-
2W / 1W-2E brackets in the semis, and BU's status as the host of
the east regional.

Given these conflicting inputs, it's entirely possible that New
Hampshire will be sent west.

The good thing is, we'll get a chance to see the committee resolve
the conflicts, which will hopefully give us a better idea how they will
act in the future.

--
 Craig Powers                   NU ChE class of '98
 [log in to unmask]       http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/c/cpowers

"Good..bad....I'm the guy with the gun." -- "Ash" in *Army of Darkness*