From:
Carol White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 17:55:25 -0500
Info taken from the U of M sports website:

 MOTZKO NAMED ASSISTANT COACH OF
GOLDEN GOPHER MEN’S HOCKEY TEAM

  [May 21, 2001]
 The University of Minnesota men’s hockey office has announced that Bob
 Motzko has been named assistant coach. Motzko will replace John Hill,
 who was recently named head coach at the University of
Alaska-Anchorage.

Motzko joins Minnesota after serving as head coach and general manager
of the
Sioux Falls Stampede in the United States Hockey League (USHL) for two
years.
He led the Stampede to a 77-31-6 overall record in the first two years
since the
franchise’s inception. Motzko was named USHL General Manager of the Year
after
the Stampede finished 37-17-4 and advanced to the playoffs in the
inaugural year
 of the franchise in 1999-2000.

Motzko was no stranger to the USHL when he joined Sioux Falls. He spent
four
seasons with the North Iowa Huskies and served as head coach and general

manager. Motzko led the Huskies to the 1989 U.S. National Junior "A"
Championship.

In between his stints in the USHL, Motzko spent one year as the
Associate Head
Coach and Recruiting Coordinator with the Denver Pioneers from the
Western
Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) in 1993- 94. He then served in the
same
capacity with Miami of Ohio for six years and helped lead the Redhawks
to the
NCAA Tournament twice, along with four conference playoff appearances.

Motzko began his coaching career as an assistant under then-Head Coach
Herb
Brooks at his alma mater, St. Cloud State University. He graduated from
St. Cloud
State in 1987. Motzko is originally from Austin, Minn.

"Bob had what I was looking for," Head Coach Don Lucia said. "He was a
head
coach in the USHL for seven years, earning a national title with North
Iowa in 1989
and helping start the Sioux Falls franchise from scratch. He has had a
unique
experience at the junior level, along with his seven years of coaching
in the
collegiate ranks."

"It’s a tremendous opportunity for me to work with Don (Lucia) and
(assistant
coach) Mike (Guentzel)," Motzko said. "I consider it one of the top
hockey jobs in
the country. It’s also a chance for me and my family to move back to the
state of
Minnesota. I feel very fortunate for the opportunity."

"Bob is very excited about the chance to come home," Lucia added. "With
the
contacts that he has made and the vast amount of experience he brings to
the
table, we are confident that he will help us elevate the program to the
next level."