From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 22:12:19 -0700
Greenie sez:

>What's the deal with this "Fox Rocky Mountain Sports Network" business? It
>seems to have taken Prime's channel slot (Ch. 32), at least on TCI cable.
>Does this mean that Prime is gone for us Coloradoans? If the programming is
>split, what is the possibility of the Game of the Week getting shown,
>compared to a Broncos talk show?

        Well, I'm not Charlie or Karen, but I think I can take this
one.  I talked to the guy at Fox (then Prime) Sports Inter-Mountain
West, which is the spinoff of FSRM for Utah, etc.  The schedule he had
at the time (thru the end of November) had two College Hockey games on
it: the DU-Wisconsin game from a few weeks ago, and this Friday's
Denver-CC game, which is in fact listed in my incredibly unreliable
cable guide.  He also said that the Fox Sports network was not, by and
large, picking up the Prime baseline programming.  In practice, this
means no College Hockey USA and apparently no Game of the Week.
Blech.  Oh, and the guy I talked to refused to put me on a mailing
list for press releases; said I'd just have to call back periodically.

        As for dishes, I looked into that before I realized it
wouldn't work in my apartment.  Be careful about what networks you
get, since DirecTV charges extra for the out-of-market regional sports
networks, and who knows which those are with this Fox buyout.  (I
presume you want NESN; at least you can get that via a big satellite
dish at a sports bar; Empire, which carried the ECAC last year, is
only available over the digital mini-dish.)

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.as.ucsb.edu/kcsb/tmss/jphock.html>

1996 Cornell Hockey: Ivy League Women's Champions
Ivy League Men's Champions/ECAC Men's Champions