EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:48:24 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I appreciate Professor Cox's viewpoint, but I'm more worried than he is about
> the effect this will have on foreign policy, by which I mean the continued
> suppression of 3rd world countries.  it seems pretty clear that Cheney is
> going to have the major say on this -- even the Official Press acknowledges
> this -- and he's a scary guy.

I don't disagree with this at all. Cheney is indeed scary and I
too believe that stopping u.s. oppression of third-world countries
is a priority. A couple points however. Albright was certainly
scary enough, as were the two Deans (Acheson & Rusk). And
Kennedy's inaugural address (the rhetoric about fighting any
threat to "freedom" anywhere) was practically a declaration
of war on the Third World. I put more faith in political
cowardice than I do in any remote good will on the part of
any administration.

The other thing is that a Republican in the White House puts
some backbone into various liberal forces (some Democratic
politicians, the *Nation* magazine, some NGOs, etc.) who
tend to lie down and pant when there's a Democrat there.

Carrol Cox