ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 07:57:38 -0500
  Team matters are best left within the team. The coaching staff is best
qualified to handle those matters but these kids come to play in Orono and
become a big part of the best show in town. That makes them public figures.
I'm sure Shawn wishes that he did not have to have his illness aired in
public, he also realizes that we all care about him and the team. Kids will
be kids and thay make mistakes. I for one would not like having my days in
Orono:) scrutinized by the local news. I believe the dedicated fans of
Maine hockey want to be informed but understand that the Coaching staff
will handle the problems. Thats my .02 cents for what it is worth.
  Sheilds and McVicar have both been looked at by NCAA and NCAA determined
them to be ineligible for certain reasons. I have no problem with that as
long as they enforce these rules across the board.In Colins case I think
they are punishing the kid for futhering his education but... One has to
wonder if they enforce these rules across the board when one reads that the
NCAA thought that UMinnesota had the worst violatins in 20 years yet they
are still able to participate in tournaments.
 I haven't seen much talk about the Merrimack Game. I thought the team
looked the best I have seen this year. AJ Begg looks to be over his ankle
sprain, he was all over Merrimcacks top line.  He was extremely physical
all game but at the end of the first period he had a crushing hit, the
Merrimack forward crumpled like a rag doll. Awesome!.
 Brendan Donovan continues to impress me, he is fun to watch.He gets right
in every battle on the ice he can find. great addition to the first line.
The alleged forth line with Clauson, Shaneberger and Mantenudo(sp?) is
doing a good job of punishing the opposing teams in the corners.Lots of
energy.
 Francis Nault looked good too. He had a hit in center ice where he bounced
off a Merrimack player. A summer of weight training will help him but he
certainly made a believer out of me. Maybe I should be used to these
freshman coming to Orono and making an impact but Grant continues his magic
of bringing in good players.
 One bad point in the Merrimack games was turnovers. The Maine D made way
to many cross ice passes in Defensive zone for my liking. If they do that
against BC I'm afraid they will make Maine pay. Wish I was going to Lowell
this weekend but I have to settle for the radio friday night. I'll be there
in spirit:)

   Go Blue

                      Jon