EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Nikolay Nikiforov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nikolay Nikiforov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 18:37:08 +0400
Saturday, October 21, 2000, 5:50:45 PM - Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine wrote:

TR> The challenge I have for Billy is this: can you tell us where in an
TR> Eisenstein film such JUXTAPOSITIONS occur with that kind of high-definition?
Coming  back  to  Griffith,  in  Intolerance  we  have  a  lot of such
relations.
I would look at Pound's Cantos thus:
There  are  'actions',  being  only things that count. And all of them
happen  in the world of no time, simultaneously. So instead of looking
at  linear  history  we  look  at  the  way men's actions change. Thus
history  almost  perishes and we look at the way men are influenced by
the  same  gods  in  all times and turn to this god or to another (god
being equal to ideogram) and serve them in different ways.
And  almost  the same things I find in Intolerance (of which I've seen
only  fragments). Actions, ideograms, relations being that which makes
film.  And  I  know no other film where unity of ideogram plays such a
role as in Intolerance. All this still being very simple.

                             mailto:[log in to unmask]
///adultery is not necessarily directed to the preservation of one's own life
 visit http://russ.ru/authors/nikiforov.html