ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:30:15 EDT
      Oh yea!

After beating the USA (under-18) Development team 3-1 yesterday, and
playing North Dakota almost even last weekend, one might suspect we'll
be a very good team this year, but not one that will score a lot of
goals nor one that even worked hard at scoring.  Great defense and team
play, but will there be more?

After watching USA demolish a game but weak Holy Cross team this
afternoon, I thought that what Maine really needed was a game where they
maybe let the defense slip a bit, but really had fun with a turned-on
offensive attach.

Well, tonight our boys didn't let the defense slip, but *wow*, did they
turn on the offense and have some fun ...  and they kept playing and
playing ...  until the final minute.  OK, 8-2 final, if you haven't
heard.

St.  Lawrence University may not be the top-10 or top-15 team they were
expected to be, but our guys showed this season won't be just a
rebuilding year, but may be the real thing.

Maine had a lot of stars this weekend, Tom Reiman with tourny MVP honors
obviously at the top of that group.  I especially enjoyed watching Lucas
Lawson play, but there were many excellent performers.

On the other hand, Dan Kerluke's, attempted slap shot could make any TV
blooper show, and should earn him an embarrassing appearance in kangaroo
court.  Sorry Dan, but it really was funny.

cheers, wayne