ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joseph Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:06:11 -0700
A wise person once said that if you no longer enjoy what you are doing, then it is time to move on.  For the past two years I, through many reasons and issues, have not been able to enjoy the job as PA announcer for the University.

On October 18, 2000, I notified Dr. Hoff of my intentions to resign and submitted my letter of resignation to the University of Maine effective immediately.  (Don't worry, the University will not be left in a lurch, as Jim Baines has been lined up to carry on in my absence).

I just wanted to take a moment and thank some people for their support over the past ten years:

1) The fans! It is YOU who made my job so enjoyable, and I will certainly miss you the most!  2) The minor officials crew who do such a professional job in the penalty and scorers boxes each home game.  I have never worked with a better group of people.  3) Shawn, his staff of coaches and all the players who have sat on the bench across the ice over the past ten years. 4) Nonni and John Daly, who have shown support for me ever since my first game. 5) Friends of Maine Hockey.  Thank you for allowing me to sneak into the Dexter Lounge and use the nice bathrooms, and sometimes sneak a munchie or two, once in a blue moon.

I am very proud to be able to say that I am the only announcer in University history to have announced for a national champion team, and for that I am grateful.

The following is a list of my career stats at the University:

Total College Hockey Events Announced - 268
   College Hockey Games - 256
   Blue/White Scrimmages - 12
Total Games Missed Over Entire Career - 3
Total Maine Hockey Games - 234
   Mens Hockey - 195
   Womens Hockey - 39
   Other College Hockey Games - 22
Total Exhibition Games - 20
Total Regular Season Games - 224
Total Post-Season Games - 12
Total Games at Alfond - 245
Total Games at Cumberland County Civic Center - 6
Total Games at Central Maine Civic Center - 2
Total Games at Bouchard Arena (all womens games) - 3

I hope to follow my love for the game of hockey by continuing to announce at another level (anything from youth or high school all the way up to working nationally in Salt Lake City), or possibly becoming a coach or a referee. My love for the game will never die.

If anyone needs me, I'll be studying the IIHF rules for November's test games. Thank you all!

Joe Kennedy

What are you N2?  Choose from 150 free e-mail addresses.
http://www.n2mail.com