EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Nikolay Nikiforov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nikolay Nikiforov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:09:44 +0400
I  find  words  mentioned on page 531 in Canto 80. Let me suggest some
ideogrammatic thinking.
Mr Pound was poet, not a writer on questions of aesthetics. That makes
one  suppose that to understand what words of Beardsley might mean for
Pound,  or,  to be correct, for a man who wrote Canto 80, that is, for
the  artist,  one should study Canto 80. In all other ways you turn to
be  receiver  of  some specific information, not a poetry reader, that
is,  you  are trying not to think creatively, you are just refusing to
think  at  all,  thus becoming potential consumer of Coca-Cola and all
shit.  I  remember  Chesterton saying somewhere that modern man having
all the reference books at his side resembles one who will never solve
any  problem,  but  always will look at the end of the book, where the
answer   is  given.  Such a man, says Chesterton, is not to be blamed,
but  surely  he's  not  one who for whom books containing mathematical
problems are made for. And if the books begin to be printed for such a
lazy  readers,  here  we have infamy, Geryon, Usura and all the hell's
horrors.
"Mais  non!  Mais  NON!"  ejaculated the scientist, "Les crocodiles ne
montent PAS les arbres." (Guide, ch. 38, p 220)

Will  try to look at Beardsley having what knowledge and understanding
I have.
Cantos  is  a  book  with the same purpose as Commedia. In Commedia in
Canto   XVII  we  have men violent against art tortured. I've not read
it, but suspect it will help with understanding Canto 80. All the long
Canto 80, which I don't understand, is concerned with the artist's role in
the  usury  society.  Pound is surely not concerned with private men's
aphorisms,  but  with  the  way  the  trees  of  art grow in different
conditions.  The  conditions in  which  Beardsley wrote are ones Pound
called  damned bad many a times. Secondly, Pound is one who is sure to
have  sympathy for all the revivalist's movement in Victorian England.
The   things   Ruskin,  Morris & Burne-Jones had done were "wrong from
the start", but nevertheless they were done in a very good will.
So we come to the piece of Canto 80:

La beaute, "Beauty is difficult, Yeats" said Aubrey Beardsley, [1]
    when Yeats asked why he drew horrors                       [2]
    or at least not Burne-Jones                                [3]
    and Beardsley knew he was dying and had to                 [4]
    make his hit quickly                                       [5]

hence no more B-J in his product.                              [7]

    So very difficult, Yeats, beauty so difficult              [9]

All the canto is full of aphorisms bad artist make, for example:
--
"forloyn " said Mr Bridges (Robert)
"we'll get 'em all back "

(p. 231)
--

Now let's reread Beardsley fragment. Yeats is asking about horrors and
receives   answer   about   Beauty   being  soo  difficult. Pound said
somewhere  that  serious  man  is  one  who gives serious answer for a
serious  question.  The  answer  Beardsley gives is surely not of this
kind,  being not only meaningless, but also impolite, suspecting Yeats
knowing  nothing  about  beauty. From line 4 we get that Beardsley was
dying.  Death  is the main theme of nearly all the poetry. The way men
receives  death  is  proving the way he lived, otherwise there were no
greek  tragedies  or  Shakespeare  or  Dante. Compare those fragments:
--
  Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom

I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind,
In balance with this life, this death.

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
  And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be,
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Time, space,
      neither life nor death is the answer.
And of man seeking good,
       doing evil.
In meiner Heimat
           where the dead walked
                 and the living were made of cardboard.

M'amour, m'amour
         what do I love and
              where are you?
That I lost my center
               fighting the world.
The dreams clash
              and are shattered --
and that I tried to make a paradiso
                                   terrestre
--
Remember  epitaphs  Burns wrote, remember Dante's words on those souls
neither  heaven  or  hell would receive, remember Villon's Testaments,

BTW,  you  who  live  in  a  hurry: consider Russia. Here no one knows
about  preraphaelites. They even think that Beardsley re-invented book
illustrations   with  his  Malory,  while  that seems just to be cheap
commercial project stealing ideas from Morris and B-J. The way
Buck   Mulligan  is  always  winning over Stephen Dedalus. Yet I think
that stupidity and inhumanity of Beardsley's pictures is something not
hard to notice for any intelligent person. (Not trying to diminish all
his talents).