EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:58:27 -0400
Dan,
I've been think about what seems to me to be a contradiction or an
incongruity-- how could Pound be deliberately ambiguous here -- meaning two
things at once--  if one of those things involves _sincere_ self-assessment?
Doesn't the duplicity and irony undermine the integrity of the contrition?
But what if we were to take this Zweifaltigkeit (half black, half white) as
a kind of structural _counterpoint_  (Lawes, Jenkins)?   Sincere
self-appraisal counterposed with the ironic  statement, addressed to
"Paquin", that the (army's) green  casque has outdone his elegance.

Tim Romano