EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:15:49 -0400
Carrol,
I was hearing in the lines an echo of "Knock, and the door shall be opened
unto you." The indefinite particle "a" did give Blunt a somewhat
other-than-individual-human quality, hence my taking him to be the "door"
(an opportunity? a new mode of understanding?) that opened up to Pound.  But
I think your reading of the elliptical syntax is better than my convolution.

What do you mean by "[light fighting for speed]"?  Reminds me of
_KATE'LABEN_ in John 1,5.  You did inquire about Manicheans a while back...

"With decency..."  -- I cannot dredge up from my memory a series of contexts
in which Pound has used the phrase "decency". My initial reaction is to read
it in the context of  "refined manners" which Pound seems to prize, at least
in some of his moods.  What brings you to think of this phrase in 18th c.
terms?

Tim