EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:20:56 -0500
[Sorry: I just sent a blank post]

If I recall correctly, Blunt was widely ostrasized after he opposed British
entry into WW1 -- but Pound paid a social call on him.

He is not metaphorically or other wise a door:

        To have, with decency, knocked [on a door]
        That a Blunt should open [it].

I think the interesting word is "a": Does that make Blunt [merely?] an
instance of a class? Throughout the *Pisan Cantos* EP is extracting a
"tradition" [light fighting for speed] that can or will survive the
wreckage. Does "decent" carry the force of "decorum": suitable, fitting --
coherence of parts to whole, of whole to parts, of form and content, etc.?

Carrol