EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:53:44 -0400
In my last post I think I made pretty much the same connection as JK does, by
means of a forward leap to the demigod (I cannot make it cohere), demi-god and
centaur in both cases a self-deprecating image.

Jacob Korg wrote:

> What does the list think of this reading of the line, "The ant's a centaur
> in his dragon world: the ant is "ego scriptor," the ant fleeing the
> anthill of Europe in an earlier Canto. He thinks he is the wise centaur in
> his world of fantasy. Ironic, self-deprecating, followed by "Pull down thy
> vanity," which is NOT  addressed to the U.S. Army.

I have also been thinking of Burt Htalen's remarks about the divide between
aesthetic and political critiques. I had thought to have knot together that
divide to a degree in my earlier post, but with all the discussion about pc --
I grant now that that wish died a borning.

--
Donald Wellman
http://www.dwc.edu/users/wellman/wellman.htm