EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:35:52 -0400
JB,

I enjoy my middle-class consumerism without any guilt whatsoever.
I also suspect that your reading is somewhat one-sided.  It is a
shame that voices of moderation in this country are increasingly
shouted down by fanatics of the PC left, like yourself, and
fanatics of the DC right.

It's an amazing kind of deja vu: your rantings sound just like
those of the commies I used to have fun listening to on Union
Square in the late 40's.  I used to wonder why they didn't all
pack up their middle-class goods and go to the Soviet Union.
What would be your favorite country to live in?  As for me, if
I'm going to call a superpower my home, this one here still
emerges as the least blemished of an admittedly funky lot.

==DP

At 03:58 PM 8/13/00 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 08/13/2000 2:36:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< As to US policy causing
> thousands of deaths of the innocent, etc., why don't you
> compare those numbers to the hundreds of thousands
> slaughtered in third-world countries?  (There are, of course,
> plenty of ignoramuses who will say the US caused all that
> too.)  >>
>
>gee whiz.... and you have the chutzpah to say my understanding of history is
>appalling!   as I say, your jingoistic stance is not unusual -- scratch a
>liberal and you find a crazed nationalist, willing to ignore millions of
>deaths directly attributed to American intervention -- Chile, El Salvador,
>Viet Nam, Iraq & Iran, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Cambodia, Cuba, Panama, Granada,
>various African countries.....  you have to willfully embrace ignorance in
>order to maintain the position you do, and in this sense -- & this sense only
>-- you're much more like Pound, whose blindness towards fascism caused him to
>willfully ignore its consequences, than I could ever be.  but I'm glad we're
>having this little discussion, I enjoy smoking you closet right-wingers out
>into the open where anyone with even a smattering of recent history can see
>what a dupe you are, and what tripe you're willing to swallow so you can
>continue enjoy your *middle-class* consumerism without the appropriate guilt
>feelings that nearly everything you eat or wear is drenched in blood.  I can
>only encourage you to continue to respond.  btw, I found your concern about
>what one can say in Franco's Spain laughable in the light of the capacities
>of the NSA (that's the National Security Agency) to monitor every single
>telephone and electronic message of any american.  as for free speech, as
>long as folks are uttering the banal  propaganda idiocies that you engage in,
>there's no need to censure you.  but I would be remiss if I didn't at least
>point you in a driection in which you could rectify your woeful
>misconceptions; I can recommend several books to add to your reading list:
>*Manufacturing Consent* by Noam Chomsky, or *Killing Hope: US Military and
>CIA interventions Since World War ll* by William Blum.  I should warn you
>though; reading these books will probably put you off your feed for a few
>days.  the only anodyne to this loss of appetite is for you to dismiss the
>authors as just more examples of *leftist ignoramuses* -- which one can do if
>one has a predilection, as you seem to have, of coyly averting one's eyes
>from the facts.
>
>joe brennan

HOME:
Dan Pearlman