EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:19:00 -0700
Wei,
    Do you think it is ever possible for Pound to make a simple declarative
statement of the way he thinks things ARE and possibly be correct? Or do you
think that everything he ever said or wrote advocates some position which
you see is inherently destructive to the welfare of mankind?
    I know that Buddhists believe that in the long run of time every
sentient being will eventually reach enlightenment, satori, nirvana or
whatever term you prefer, but do you believe that every human being is
destined to understand every mystery thereby eliminating all mysteries and
the distinction of the adept? That would be nice science fiction but hardly
likely, and before that day comes we will just have to do with coming up a
bit short. Maybe we can cut the 95% by a little. Anyone who has ever been a
teacher can tell you this, and you should know it regardless of how
idealistically egalitarian you are.
    Now you ask, "Is it not the case that in both Jungian and Freudian
analysis, one of the main goals is to take the unintellible, the
"mysterious", if you will, and give it rational form, or at least a rational
explanation which can aid our comprehension of the said mysterious
phenomenon?"
    OK This is partly true, I suppose in the sense that an attempt is
conducted to cure an individual of some mental demon by indentifying the
same and isolating it from the subconscious if that is where it hides. But
in Jung's case at least let me quote from him to elucidate the difficulty of
bringing everything up from the unconscious mind to the rational
consciousness, a feat if it were possible to accomplish might not have the
results you would be comfortablle with afterall.
    The unconscious mind contains a wealth of phantasmagoria reaching back
to the Stone Age as Jung believed. Civilization relatively new  to mankind
(50 generations) is only a thin veneer over this reservoir of intrinsic
mental baggage. Here's Jung:
    "The layer of culture, this pleasing patina, must therefore be quite
extraordinarily thin in comparison with the powerfully developed layers of
the primitive psyche. But it is these layers that form the collective
unconscious, together with the vestiges of animality that lose themselves in
the nebulous abyss of time.
    Christianity split the Germanic barbarian into an upper and a lower
half, and enabled him, by repressing the dark side, to domesticate the
brighter half and fit it for civilization. But the lower, darker half still
awaits redemption and a second spell of domestication. Until then, it will
remain associated with the vestiges of the prehistoric age, with the
collective unconscious, which is subject to a peculiar and ever-increasing
activation. As the Christian view of the world loses its authority, the more
menacingly will the "blond beast" be heard prowling about in its underground
prison, ready at any moment to burst out with devastating consequences. When
this happens in the individual it brings about a psychological revolution,
but it can also take a social form.
    In my opinion this problem does not exist for the Jews. The Jew already
had the culture of the ancient world and on top of that has taken over the
culture of the nations amongst whom he dwells. He has two cultures,
paradoxical as that may sound. He is domesticated to a higher degree than we
are, but he is badly at a loss for that quality in man which roots him to
the earth and draws new strength from below. This chthonic quality is found
in dangerous concentration in the Germanic peoples. Naturally the Aryan
European has not noticed any signs of this for a very long time, but perhaps
he is beginning to notice it in the present war; and again, perhaps not. The
Jew has too little of this quality - where has he his own earth underfoot?
The mystery of earth is no joke and no paradox. One only needs to see how,
in America, the skull and pelvis measurements of all the European races
begin to indianize themselves in the second generation of immigrants. That
is the mystery of the American earth.
    The soil of every country holds some such mystery. We have an
unconscious reflection of this in the psyche: just as there is a
relationship of mind to body, so there is a relationship of body to earth. I
hope the reader will pardon my figurative way of speaking, and will try to
grasp what I mean. It is not easy to describe, definite though it is. There
are people - quite a number of them - who live outside and above their
bodies, who float like bodiless shadows above their earth, their earthly
component, which is their body. Others live wholly in their bodies. As a
rule, the Jew lives in amicable relationship with the earth, but without
feeling the power of the chthonnic. His receptivity to this seems to have
weakened with time. This may explain the specific need of the Jew to reduce
everything to its material beginnings; he needs these beginnings in order to
counterbalance the dangerous ascendency of his two cultures. A little bit of
primitivity does not hurt him; on the contrary, I can understand very well
that Freud's and Adler's reduction of everything psychic to primitive sexual
wishes and power-drives has something about it that is beneficial and
satisfying to the Jew, because it is a form of simplification. For this
reason, Freud is perhaps right to close his eyes to my objections. But these
specifically Jewish doctrines are thoroughly unsatisfying to the German
mentality; we still have a genuine barbarian in us who is not to be trifled
with, and whose manifestation is no comfort for us and not a pleasant way of
passing the time. Would that people could learn the lesson of this war! The
fact is, our unconscious is not to be got at with over-ingenious and
grotesque interpretations. The psychotherapist with a Jewish background
awakens in the Germanic psyche not those wistful and whimsical residues from
the time of David, but the barbarian of yesterday, a being for whom matters
suddenly become serious in the most unpleasant way. This annoying
peculiarity of the barbarian was apparent also to Nietzsche- no doubt from
personal experience- which is why he thought  highly of the Jewish mentality
and preached about dancing and flying and not taking things seriously. But
he overlooked the fact that it is not he barbarian in us who takes things
seriously- they become serious for him. He is gripped by the daemon. And who
took things more seriously than Nietzche himself?"
    Please excuse the long quotation, but I think it is apposite to much of
our recent discussion.

CDM