EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Alexander Schmitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:54:27 +0200
Well done, Charles,

but I'm sure yr poem wdn't stop our eloquent friend.

Maybe some of you might remember that in 1998 or so a group of Pounders wanted to
open up something like a second EP ListServe for nothing less than a line-by-
line-reading of the Cantos. I think they didn't succeed in getting the project
off the ground.

So - before I join those "impatient" fellow Pounders who (after years) quit this
ListServe because they find it unbearable to have just ONE fire-head jamming this
otherwise great platform for communication and educated dialog with ENDLESS
SERMONS of trivia, hairsplitting, and know-it-alls - in all seriousness I wd
suggest that the old "sideline"-idea shd be picked up once again: My idea is that
Wei & his handful of admirers cd take that as their playground for endless
sermons and answers-to-sermons & answers-to-answers-to-sermons about, well, to
nothing, for example the secrets of the "chung"-ideogram in the Pisan Cantos and
comparable sophisms.

I'm sorry that I'm losing my patience. But I REALLY miss all the many
contributors, the Kiblers, of "auld lang syne" who gave their best to make this
Ezra Pound ListServe the most admirable (and for me: beloved) thing in the whole
internet.

Wei has succeeded in making this list a tiring, tactless, and arrogant
one-man-show.

I'm a jazz guitar player; and in more than THIRTY years of playing I have learned
to enjoy the basic philosophy of jazz which means that LISTENING is much more
important than SOLOING.

Not of one bird/but of many

EP noted in Pisa watching the birds on the wires. So let the over-ambitious
soloists open up their separate forum. And let this congregation of brilliant
Pounders return to what this List was and was meant to be.

Once again I'm sorry for having lost my "conténance". I don't want to go against
good manners. I don't want to be unfair. But this exactly is what I expect of the
others in this club. Not more, not less.

Saluti,

alex

      Alexander Schmitz - P.O. Box 122, D-21636 Horneburg, Germany
       Tel.: 0049-4163-7565, Fax: ...-7549;  Mobile: 0177-5128767