EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:45:32 GMT
Alexander Schmitz <[log in to unmask] wrote:

<<I'm sure yr poem wdn't stop our eloquent friend.  >>

I thank you for the complimentary application of the epithet "eloquent."
But I find the remark puzzling.  You appear to wish me to "stop".  I am
unclear as to "why" you might feel this way.  As others have pointed out,
your are free to delete my postings, or to ignore them.  I frequently ignore
postings which do not interest me.  No one can compel you to read them.
This is part of the beauty of the listserv as a form of communication.

<<I join those "impatient" fellow Pounders who (after years) quit this
ListServe >>

Again, I am puzzled by this.  You used the word "jamming", but "jamming"
---in its usual sense--- refers to what totalitarian governments do to radio
or television signals to make it impossible to listen to any message.  No
one on this list, as far as I know, can prevent anyone from voicing his or
her opinion on any matter.  If anyone were to use obscenity, or excessive
rudeness, or threaten someone, then the list director might intervene.  But
that has not happened.  The great innovation which we call "online
communication" permits a variety of voices, and allows the receiver to
control the precise quantity of posts that he or she receives.

<< great platform for communication and educated dialog >>

There is nothing which any individual can do which can prevent this list
from being such a platform.  If you, for instance, wish to engage with
anyone on this list, in educated communication, and in an extended or brief
dialogue, I believe you are perfectly free to do so--- and I cordially and
sincerely invite you to participate.  All voices should be welcome.

<<in all seriousness I wd
suggest that the old "sideline"-idea shd be picked up once again: My idea is
that Wei & his handful of admirers cd take that as their playground >>

You are free to set up any listserv at any time on any subject.  You are
free to post as much (or as little) on this group as you wish.  I see
virtually infinite possibilites.  I wonder what you see precisely, about the
nature of the internet, or about the nature of Pound studies which compels
you to make the proposal you do.

<<I'm sorry that I'm losing my patience.>>

Why not simply take a deep breath and relax.  I mean this sincerely.
Explain  why you object to my posts if you have reason to object.  No one
should take offense at genuinely voiced criticisms.  The complaints you
have, I am sure, are genuine and deserving of a hearing.

<<But I REALLY miss all the many
contributors, the Kiblers, of "auld lang syne" who gave their best to make
this Ezra Pound ListServe the most admirable (and for me: beloved) thing in
the whole
internet.>>

And it can continue to be so.  You might wish to make more frequent
contributions, and encourage others to do so.  I don't see how anyone can
object to that.

<<Wei has succeeded in making this list a tiring, tactless, and arrogant
one-man-show.>>

On the contrary, many many other people, too numerous to mention, have made
singular contributions to the list, which far outweigh my contributions in
countless areas, in terms of scholarly knowledge and the comprehension of
Pound's poetic intentions.  I could simply cite Charles Moyer and Tim Romano
as two people who have produced extremely admirable insights on scores of
topics, which have helped to educate me and many other members of the list.
  Many others could be named.

<<I'm a jazz guitar player; and in more than THIRTY years of playing I have
learned to enjoy the basic philosophy of jazz . . .>

This is a case in point.  Many on this list (including myself) may know very
little about jazz.  You may wish to share this knowledge with us. One thing
I do know about jazz, is that often improvisation, and interactive playing
are involved (pardon me if that is not the right term).  So I politely
suggest that you join us:  improvise, participate, and add to the music.
Perhaps it becomes a bit dissonant at times (like mock-Coltrane, or the work
of more avant-garde jazz musicians), but we all do the best we can.

<<
EP noted in Pisa watching the birds on the wires. So let the over-ambitious
soloists open up their separate forum. >>

What is wrong with an ensemble with you participating?  Of course you have
noise filters to turn anything off, if you want to.

>>And let this congregation of brilliant Pounders return to what this List
>>was and was meant to be.>>

You may wish to post the list guidelines, which I do not have handy.  As I
understand the list, it was meant to be a forum where Pound is discussed, in
whatever way each individual sees fit.

Please, help us in that task.

Salut et fraternite,

Wei