EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Erik Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:46:29 -0700
I am not sure I understand what those talking of
objectivity mean? Are you describing Pound's
objectivity in terms of newspaper reporting--that is
his account of history as created in The Cantos--or
are you speaking of Objectivism as a poetic movement,
which Oppen and Zukofsky developed after Imagism?
Objectivity in the latter sense is often confused as a
poetic attempt to "report" images objectively. When in
fact, as Z and Opp. often stated, they were more
concerned with the objectification of the poem, or the
poem becoming an object itself. I don't think Pound
cared to be "objective" in the sense you ar talking.
Certainly he possessed subjective and objective
qualities throughout his career, but to his credit,
when refering to his personal life he at least had the
good taste to use an "objective correlative."

As for people replying to long winded messages with
"see what I mean," when in fact there is no "evidence"
being exhibited, just pure pedanting, I personally
appreciate the terseness--"know what I mean."

I would like to thank Mr. Hatlen, Mr. Romano, Prof.
Pearlman, Everett Lee Lady, Jonothan Morse, and a few
other people on the list for enlightening me on many
issues relating to Pound. I came to this group last
year as an enthusiastic undergradute, and have learned
much from you all. Because there were no Poundians at
my university, I feel as though I ahve taken a seminar
over the past year. However, lately I have found the
list a bit frustrating, and no longer wish to
subscribe. I wish that I had the fortitude of the
older, more disiplined scholars that I have mentioned.
I admire the way they wait in the background, only to
surface when someone has been either hogging internet
time or misrepresenting Pound's work. But I am young
angry and impatient, and have no tolerance for people
who email the group five or six times a day with
nothing educational to say.

Thank you
Its been real

Erik Volpe