EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:32:38 -0400
Pound wrote (as quoted by Wei earlier in the context of "outmoded ritual"):

As to sacrifices, I think the body of notes on the
  subject, everything that has come to my attention,
  is just plain stupid to the point of imbecility.
  'Pleasing to heaven,' etc.  Various ideas of pleasing
  the spirits are all very well, but there could still be
  a lesson in animal sacrifice for any group that had
  evolved beyond primitive stages.  Animals are killed
  now in abattoirs; the sight of a
  killing can remind us in the midst of our normal
  semi-conscious-ness of all that goes on in our vile
  and degraded mercantilist ambience, THAT LIFE
 EXISTS BY THE DESTRUCTION OF OTHER LIFE.
  The sight  of one day's hecatomb might even cause thought in
  the midst of our democracy and usuriocracy
        (S.P., 68).

[ my emphasis ]

Any Darwinian  influence on Pound's ideas about race and eugenics? Social
order and class? Fascism?

Tim Romano