EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:06:22 -0400
Joe,
If you read up on this issue you will see that Catholic dogma does indeed
distinguish between Mass and Holy Communion. Pound appears to me to have
been more interested in the mysterium of the blood sacrifice and less in the
aspect of congregational "communion.  His interest in the mysterium explains
his willingness to accept "any abracadabra".  The Latin language was by no
means sacrosanct, and Pound clearly doesn't give a fig for papal authority.

Wei's prescription that true religious experience must embody gentle
brotherly love denies the central act of violence that the Mass ritually
re-enacts. Pound would recognize the pagan survival in the rites of the
Mass, and acknowledge the operation of Eros. Wei stresses Agape. But for
Pound, the Mass was not a time for singing Kumbayah.

This issue of mass-in-latin is a window into Pound's paganism. Pound
believed Italian Fascism would be amenable to the sort of religious
expression that suited his tastes.

Tim Romano