EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:32:40 -0400
Bob
I think we may mean different things by the word "archetype."  Archetype, as
I use the term, is not an individuating psychic structure, like the Self,
but a collective psychic structure. Nor are the archetypes expedients,
standalone concepts or notions, to facilitate abstract pscyhochat; rather
the archetypes inhere in and inform  individual human psyches.   An
oxymoron, but for the ego.

So don'tget sidetracked into ontology. These are NOT metaphysical
categories. Nor are they mythical "themes" but structures of the psyche.
Myths reflect the "eternal states of mind".

Let's put this into terms less intellectualized, more metaphorical. When the
poet says "I stood still and was a tree amid the wood"  he is having an
unmediated metamorphic EXPERIENCE of the same order as that undergone by
Yeats, who asks: "How can we tell the dancer from the dance?"  The interplay
of archetypes is the dance, is the woods.  The ego is the dancer,  the tree.

There is no absolute border between Self and un-self; the self-consciousness
we refer to by the term "ego" is merely a threshold. One may assent to this
statement intellectually. Or one may RECOGNIZE its truth by undergoing an
unmediated liminal experience. This poem is the record not of intellectual
assent but of the liminal experience. It relates great emotion in the
calmness of retrospect. The EXPERIENCE recounted in this poem is one of
crossing that threshold. Normally that happens in sleep and dream. This time
it took place in broad daylight  "among the primal things".

Tim