EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:11:09 -0400
Wei,

I would again direct your attention to the poem known as The Tree. The poem
is, as I wrote in an earlier posting, the ur-statement of Pound's awakening
to the world of myth and archetype, and the poem is most important for a
fuller understanding of the role that myth and religious experience play in
the Cantos and in Pound's thought generally.  The line "I stood still" is
_not_ merely metaphorical, but a reference to an archetypal experience. The
"light" that runs as a leitmotiv throughout Pound's works has its origin in
the events recounted in this poem. Again, Pound sought and found
corroboration of this experience in many places, and his ability to
recognize the experience in all of its various manifestations lies at the
heart of his syncretism and eclecticism.
Tim Romano