EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:18:38 PDT
I offer my apology to Leon Surette, by very, very briefly (and innacurately)
characterizing his explanation of the relationship between Pound and
Eleusis.

You said,

"   In THE BIRTH OF MODERNISM I revised that opinion and argued that Pound
took seriously the occult and visionary postulates of Swedenborgians like
Yeats and theosophists like G. R. S. Mead and Allen Upward, and that these
views animate the CANTOS. Demetres Tryphonopolous holds much the same view,
and articulates it manifestation in Pound's poetry and prose--with a special
emphasis on the palingenetic of katabasis and epotpteia. Demetres does
stress the occurence of that pattern at Eleusis and argues for its
suitability as a paradigm case applicable to the CANTOS. But that, too, is
very different from arguing that Eleusis is his religion."

Any one who agrees with Mr. Surette on this revised view: what would be the
strongest pieces of evidence (say, one or two quotes from Pound himself)
which would corroborate the theory.

I have the very strong impression that Pound is hostile to theosophy.  Does
he ever speak of "theosophy" as such positively; and if so, why is he so
hostile to Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism?

Regards,

Wei