From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:53:22 -0400
Notes from the 51st Annual Boston College Pike's Peak Hockey Club Banquet,
held Saturday night April 15, 2000:

Awards:
Academic (for seniors) - Achievement to Jeff Farkas, double major in
   Sociology and English.  Advisor's Award to Kevin Caulfield, major in
   communications.

John A. (Snooks) Kelley Memorial Award, to the player who best typifies
   Boston College Hockey - shared by Bobby Allen and Scott Clemmensen

William J. Flynn Coaches' Award - Kevin Caulfield

James E. Tiernan Memorial Award, for most improved player - shared by
   Ales Dolinar and Marty Hughes

Norman F. Dailey Memorial Award, for most valuable player - an
   unprecedented situation, shared by 4 players - Blake Bellefeuille,
   Jeff Farkas, Brian Gionta, Mike Mottau

Notes:
A good turnout, as expected.  Next year's captains are Brian Gionta,
captain, and Bobby Allen and Mike Lephart, assistant captains.  It was
announced that after a 5-year period, Mike Mottau's #3 will be retired
at BC.  There was a brief video tribute by David Emma, BC's previous
Hobey Baker award winner.  A special award was made to the young boy
who leads the "E-A-G-L-E-S" cheers; he is Bobby Allen's cousin.

Lots of awards, tributes, and congratulations to this year's senior class,
who led one of the most successful periods in BC hockey history.  The
club leaders decided they couldn't pick any one player to be the "best" in
any category, hence the large number of shared awards.  All players were
in attendance except Kevin Caulfield, who apparently is playing for
Portland of the AHL in their playoffs.  Jeff Farkas, Mike Mottau, and Blake
Bellefeuille are expected to sign pro contracts soon (if not already by
the time this is posted.)  Mottau had a representative of the NY Rangers at
the dinner, and Toronto might be interested in Farkas for the playoffs with
one of their forwards out for the duration.  Bellefeuille is in the best
situation, as an undrafted free agent who has turned out to be a very
accomplished player.  He has numerous teams interested in his services, and
as a result may be able to bargain for a more lucrative contract.  Of
course, he still has to go on and perform at the higher level, probably
in the AHL to start next year.

Personal comments:
I have to say that this year's group of players were the most fun to watch
and easiest to admire in all the time I have been following BC hockey (now
12 years.)  Their accomplishments will be remembered for a very long time
at BC.  It would have been nice if one of the years had produced a finals
victory, but 3 Frozen Fours, 2 finals, and lots of success is nothing to
scoff at.  I'm sure that most fans would be happy if their programs had
such a history to enjoy -- there aren't that many teams who get to that
level, and even fewer who finally win a championship.

A special note of admiration from me for Blake Bellefeuille, who was my
favorite player.  He was a superstar in Massachusetts high school hockey,
but played for his public school team, which is not where the top players
go anymore (the Catholic schools and particularly the Prep schools is where
the top competition is.)  There were those who questioned his ability to
step up to the higher level of competition, and I had a few doubts myself.
He proved everyone wrong; fast, determined, strong, able to score, able
to play defense, good at faceoffs, played power play and penalty kills,
always in the shadow of other star players but always one of the best
players in almost every game he played.  It seemed he would forever be
mentioned as "oh, yeah, that Bellefeuille kid is good, too" after others
would praise Marty Reasoner or Jeff Farkas or Brian Gionta as forwards.
That is why I was so pleased that he was named as one of the co-MVP's
this year; he meant as much to this team's success as anyone.  (Yeah,
I know, I tend to root for the underdog ...)

Congrats to all the teams and fans for making this another great hockey
season.  Next year should be another very competitive year, with many
teams having a shot at the title, and every game a battle.  We hope to
travel to some new locations next year for BC road trips, adding to our
total of teams we saw live this year.  This year's list: all 9 Hockey East
teams, 9 MAAC teams (except Canisius,) 4 ECAC (Harvard, St. Lawrence,
Vermont, Colgate), 3 CCHA (Michigan, MSU, Bowling Green), 2 WCHA (St. Cloud
and North Dakota), and Wayne State.  That's 28 out of the 60 teams in
the "main" leagues (incl. Wayne St).  Next year we hope to get a few more.
We have now seen every team live over our years except a handful: UAF,
Ferris, Western Michigan, Mich. Tech, UNO, Mankato, Niagara, Findlay,
UAH, and Bemidji are all we lack.  It is nice living in the East within
reach of so many schools and tournaments, and being able to travel to the
playoffs ...

Now on to my summer diversion - go New England Revolution!

-- Rick M.
Rick McAdoo                        [log in to unmask]
"Volunteer reporter"               A pleased BC fan.  GO EAGLES!