From:
"Tuschen, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tuschen, Terry
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:21:04 -0600
This is a good thread...The Badger's Dustin Kuk cross-checked a Michigan
Tech player in the head back in October.  He received the major and game dq
and sat out the following game.  This week the WCHA also slapped him with an
extra game suspension for the hit.  Now, Jeff Sauer doesn't necessarily feel
this is wrong, but he feels that the league should have acted more quickly.
Kraig, who was the referee up there on the Commodore call?

My personal feeling is that "referees discretion" is foolish.  If the
league, teams, and the NCAA really mean what they say about no-tolerance for
head shots, then they have to be more agressive and consistent with their
calls, no mercy as it were.  I suggest that if a player is cross-checked
high and injured, or hit from behind into the boards, it should be a
mandatory 5 minute major/DQ.  And if the injured player misses games due to
the injury, the attacking player should miss those games as well.

Trying to measure intent is difficult, even with video, and if there is a
no-exception rule about hits to the head and hits from behind, players might
come around.