Dear Listmembers,
Sorry, I can't help with Wayne Pounds' interesting question but I have one of my own. The Times Literary Supplement recently (July 16th) carried a review by Marjorie Perloff of the new ed. of EP/DP's 1945-46 letters. In the piece Perloff writes:

'...Olga Rudge, who was to become Ezra's lifelong mistress, gave birth to their daughter Mary. Dorothy responded in pique by taking a long trip to Egypt and came back pregnant.'

Can someone just clarify this for me, because it sounds as though DP became pregnant in Egypt, possibly without EP's involvement. I didn't get that from any of the biographies! I presume it's just the way I'm reading it - I expect someone will tell me that EP and DP travelled together to Egypt and somehow Perloff knows that it was on this trip that DP became pregnant. I just found the review confusing and wanted to check it out with better-qualified Poundians.

Thanks,
Sarah Graham