At 10:19 PM 3/31/99 EST, you wrote: >Was wondering if anyone had any uncommon views on how Pound got himself into >his 'Political Pickle', eg the treason trial. A friend, who is familiar with >Pound, and is also a poet, offered the view that he was "looking for a >market", and subsequently found one, ie he spoke to those who took interest, >who didn't slam the door in his face. Valid? I'm unsure. Any ideas? Thanks. While not exactly my own uncommon view, I think I read in a Guy Davenport essay how ironic it is that Pound, who railed governments for not providing artists with the salary and environment and protection to create masterpieces, found just that world only under imprisonment from the government that accused him of treason. Despite the less than ideal living quarters in the cage in Pisa, it did become something of a writer's colony, and I guess the view was good enough to see Taishan. Lucas . . Lucas Klein [log in to unmask] 8080,8080,0000A young Muse with young loves clustered about her ascends with me into the æther, . . . And there is no high-road to the Muses. 0000,8080,0000 Ezra Pound, Homage to Sextus Propertius