There is virtually no overlap between CCHA and WCHA officials.

My understanding is that there is some overlap between HE and ECAC officials.

This might put western teams at a disadvantage when playing eastern teams
with a crew from the "other" eastern league.  One team comes in being much
more familiar with the officiating style than the other.

I think bill fenwick said this...
> Which brings up a question I have.  Clearly, in an NCAA tournament game between
> teams from different leagues, you can't use officials from either league.  For
> example, a CCHA ref or a Hockey East ref could not have done the UNH-MSU semi.
> But for an all-Hockey-East championship game (or for that matter, the
> all-Hockey-East semi between Maine and BC), why didn't they have Hockey East
> officials, who would at the very least have been somewhat familiar with the
> styles of both teams?  As I recall, Frank Cole, who was largely a Hockey East
> ref at the time, did the '95 final between Maine and BU.

and this is from greg ambrose
> Frank Cole, who is now director of officiating for the ECAC, is a friend
> and insurance client of mine (we're from the same home town) and happened
> to be on the same shuttle bus when we dropped off our rental cars on
> Sunday.  I asked him this very question, "if it was OK for you to ref the
> NCAA final between two Hockey East teams in 1995, why did it not happen
> this year?"  My reasoning is that it is better to have someone reffing the
> game who knows the players, knows the coaches, knows what to look for
> rather than having some guy (like Noeth) who may have reffed one game for
> one team.  Frank explained to me that the NCAA decided for this tournament
> that they would go with officials from the two conferences not involved in
> the Frozen Four (ECAC and WCHA).  The reasoning, of course, was that if a
> MSU-BC/Maine matchup happened you could not have the game done by a ref
> from either the CCHA or HE.  Thus, no HE officials were on site.
>
> The kicker to me, however, is that he felt if the same scenario had
> occurred in an eastern venue - Boston, Providence, Albany - that there is
> no question that the NCAA would have brought in a HE official to do the
> game.  He was basically saying that the NCAA did not want to spring for the
> money to fly someone out to do one game.  Nice, eh?

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash