That certainly appears a possibility this year with
CC Denver and North Dakota in the west and
Maine, BC, and UNH in the east

A scenario like this almost GUARANTEES a matchup between two teams from the same
conference for the right to go on to the frozen four.

I know there are issues of geographic proximity at the division 2 level in
other sports to cut travel expenses.  It seems to me that it might be
reasonable to have the third (and 4th) teams from a conference go to the
other regional.

For example, Denver has played North Dakota four times, will play them a
5th time in the WCHA championship game, and most likely will play them again
in the west regional.

If we look at maine, unh, and bc
bc has played unh 3 times already, will play them again today and might
                    play them in the regional
bc has played maine 3 times already, and might play them in the regional
maine has played unh 3 times already, and might play them in the regional

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash