Clipped from the Grand Forks Herald Website....

     COLLEGE HOCKEY

     Hoogsteen out at least 3 weeks

     By Virg Foss

     Herald Staff Writer

     Senior wing David Hoogsteen, UND's leading scorer, will be lost to
     the Fighting Sioux hockey team for three to six weeks.

     Hoogsteen injured his right ankle in Saturday's 5-3 win at Minnesota
     and X-rays on Monday in Grand Forks confirmed that he has a
     fractured fibula. UND hockey athletic trainer Mark Poolman said
     Hoogsteen's injury will not require surgery.

     "He'll be on crutches for a week or longer, as needed, and he's
     wearing a walking boot to protect his ankle," Poolman said.

     Hoogsteen has begun therapy work on his injury, Poolman said. The
     walking boot, rather than a hard cast, permits the boot to be taken
     off for therapy treatments.

     "He's a big loss," UND coach Dean Blais said. "He's a captain and a
     leader, and we'll miss him as much for his off-ice contributions as on
     the ice."

     In eight games, Hoogsteen has a team-leading five goals, along with
     three assists. He was an all-Western Collegiate Hockey Association
     second-team selection last season and a first-team pick in 1997.

     "We've got good depth, and we'll be able to replace David with
     another player," Blais said, "but you don't easily replace his level
     of play."

     The Sioux play league-leading Colorado College this weekend in
     Grand Forks. The Tigers lost their third-leading scorer last weekend
     when center Toby Petersen suffered a fractured fibula to his right
     ankle in a game against Denver last Friday. Petersen had surgery on
     his ankle on Saturday and is out indefinitely.

     Mike Welvaert, UND '90
     GO SIOUX...ONE MORE TIME IN '99!!