At 12:06 PM 10/16/99 -0400, you wrote: >It seems to me that Pound's paganism should be as much anti-Christian >as anti-Judaic. Why he chose to hate *preferentially* is another >issue entirely. yeah, but. . . I remember reading some quote from Pound that said something like Because there have been no holy wars waged in the name of the Jew, he is preferential to the Christian or the Mohammaden. now granted, this is another one of those slight excuses for anti-semitism, hating all religions and Jews as part of that, just like his saying that he has Jewish friends, that his name is Ezra, etc. But still, I think it comes down to this: Pound didn't like any religions as far as I can tell. He hated Jews. Hatred of Jews is more than a dislike of religions (message and messenger, that sort of thing), but if you can have a theoretical justification for your theoretical objection, perhaps you think you can extend that to a hatred such as anti-semtism. And perhaps this is what we have with Pound. He hated preferentially. I don't know that he chose it so much as he didn't choose against it. But he was, as far as my limited knowledge goes, a disliker of religions on an equal-opportunity basis. Lucas . . Lucas Klein [log in to unmask] 8080,8080,0000A young Muse with young loves clustered about her ascends with me into the æther, . . . And there is no high-road to the Muses. 0000,8080,0000 Ezra Pound, Homage to Sextus Propertius