Excuse me,  but I am having just a little bit of a hard time swallowing
Union's culpability in this matter.   Are we supposed to believe that Moore
didn't know the situation at Union before he went there?   Come on,  he was
at Colgate as an assistant,  a member of the ECAC,  situated an hour and a
half away.   He didn't know what the situation was?   And,  are we supposed
to swallow his leaving at the eleventh hour before the season as something
folks of high integrity would routinely do?   I don't think so!!   Sleazy
at best.   Think if your kid had been recruited by Union this year and had
decided to go there.   How would you feel now?   I know if I was an AD with
a position to fill in the future,  this little incident would get a lot of
scrutiny if Moore applied.

        The irony of the situation is that Union appeared to be poised for a
pretty decent season if their goalkeeping solidified after Koenig's
graduation (admittedly a significant if).   The good news is that Sneddon
 sounds like a guy of the highest character and potential despite his
youth (note I did not say inexperience).   I am sure he will bring a
tremendous energy to the table.

        All that being said,  I will agree with those who say that Union has an
identity problem on its hands.   A large portion of the faculty and
administration appear to think that a return to NESCAC with their very
restrictive D-3 philosophy and schedules would be the best of all possible
worlds.   Rhetorically speaking,  that is.   Not that that scenario is
under actual consideration.   As an example, I happened to witness an
interesting vignette in another sport  --  soccer  --  last Fall at Union.
  Against a very important and strong opponent,  Middlebury,  and near the
close of their first rather successful season in years,  the Captain of the
team and principal scoring threat did not play during the first half and
was in fact not even present.   He showed up at the start of the second
half,  apparently having just completed an hour test that a professor would
not allow rescheduled due to the circumstances.   In talking with the team
parents,  this was by no means an isolated case for other players either.
  That tells you a little bit,  does it not?   Union is an absolutely
marvelous school,  but athletes who attend must have their eyes open and
understand the institutional philosophy.

        -- Dick Tuthill