Bill Fenwick writes:

>I recall something in the rule book (which of course I don't have) about "fan
>interference".  This may just specifically refer to throwing objects on the
>ice, but I recall a more general rule that may have been invoked to keep
>various bands from playing while play was happening on the ice.

        Y'know I thought such a rule existed too, but if it does, it
doesn't seem to compel the UVM band to stop playing when the puck is
dropped, or prevent them from routinely starting a forty-second-long
piece fifteen seconds before the faceoff.  Kind of a shock after
noticing the weekend before how careful the Cornell band was to stop
playing the moment play started.

                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     Official Scorer/PA Announcer
                                        U of Utah Ice Hockey Club