> Understood. :-)  However I have yet to come across anything stating
> beforehand that the games would count.  As I have said, I assumed they
> would too, but I can see how some might have thought they would not.

I don't have the exact quote, and I don't have access to the appropriate
rule books, but the week of the ice-breaker, when it was reported in
the local papers (as a "last-minute problem"), Coach Sauer was quoted
as saying something to the effect that NCAA rules are that all games
between NCAA schools are suppossed to count, it isn't up to the
coaches.

From that I think that it may not have been in the contract, and
the default would be that the games count. Given the circumstance
of a first-year event, and confusion, it may be that they exempt
it this year.

I assume that this is not a hockey-specific rule.  I think it makes
sense. For example, all of the Wisconsin exhibition basketball
games are against non-NCAA teams (international teams or teams like
athletes-in-action). I don't klnow if that is by rule or coincidence. Like
I said, I don't have the appropriate rule book.

        --david