I'd like to add to the comments I made yesterday.  I'll try
to be brief...please bear with me.

First, I'd like to apologize to anyone I offended with my
comments.  I stand by them, but I could have vented less.
I think the recent Notre Dame-Michigan series was the
final straw for me in a much bigger issue.

THE STATE OF COLLEGE HOCKEY TODAY
Others have said it, and I'd like to publicly agree.  I've only
been following for a decade, but college hockey "ain't what
it used to be."  That fact has really hit home in the CCHA this
season...and it's made me a sad boy. :-(

The Skaters: Amonte, Blake, Brind'Amour, Chelios, Emerson,
Hull, Janney, Kariya, LeClair, Nieuwendyk, Oates, Smolinski,
Suter, Tkachuk and Weight to name a few.  Will we someday
include Crowley, Morrison, Rasmussen and company with the
above?

The Goaltenders: Belfour, Carey, Hebert, Joseph, Richter,
Terreri, etc.  Only Carey is a recent collegian.  Names such
as Dunham, Muzzatti, Roloson, Shields and Snow are all
earning a paycheck primarily as backups but none can truly
be said to be one of the bigger names.

The Teams: This is where it's REALLY noticeable.  Michigan
has been dominating the country this season, but I'd still be
willing to argue that the 1992-93 Wolverines were better.  I
think UM's talent level has remained fairly steady throughout
the 1990s while most teams have seen a decline and that's
why Michigan is now defending rather than simply contending.
This is a credit to UM, but it doesn't change my position on
college hockey.  How about the 1992-93 Maine Black Bears?
Who can honestly name a better 1990s team?  They took the
NCAA by storm.  Kariya is an unparalleled talent.  I've already
mentioned Dunham and Snow.  But, I count Chris Imes and
Jim Montgomery as two of the best collegians of the decade.
Yet, neither can find an NHL home.  And, four years ago, who
would have thought that the Ferraro twins would be where
they are today.  (WHERE are they today!)

The Officiating: This is the one I've been ranting about all
season.  Maybe too much, but are the relevant parties paying
attention?  CCHA officiating has reached a new low.  It's gotten
to the point that if you don't here the name Shegos or Piotrowski
you can count on a terribly called game.  Matt Shegos and Pi
aren't 100% either, but they're angels compared to the rest.
Again, anyone affiliated with the league probably cringes whenever
this is mentioned.  Why cringe?  Do something about it!  Until
the league administrators recognize the officiating as a problem,
they are part of the problem.

Notre Dame: I ripped the Irish enough in my last post.  I've heard
great things about the last two recruiting classes.  On paper, this
is one of the most talented Irish teams of the modern era.  However,
I didn't see any of that this season.  UND looked like a team more
concerned with "covering the spread" than actually winning a game.
When the Irish featured the likes of Jamie Ling and Davide Dal
Grande in prominent roles, I looked forward to brighter days for
the shamrock boys.  Now that they've supposedly arrived, I'd
rather see Ling and Dal Grande.  At least they gave an honest
effort.

A Positive?: Miami University.  Yes, Miami University.  This is a
solid team that, on paper, should be in the NCAA top five next
year.  A pleasant surprise.  Hey, not *everyone* in the CCHA is
experiencing a down cycle.

CONCLUSION
The bottom line is, I'm still griping.  I'll always be a college
hockey fan.  I'll always be a CCHA fan.  I'll always be a Michigan
fan.  I care enough about all three to genuinely be concerned
about the first two.  Am I being paranoid?  I don't know, you tell
me.  I'd much rather be wrong.  I'd prefer to hear that college
hockey is thriving and I'm just being too critical.  But, I don't
think that's the case.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])
GO BLUE!  28-2-3 in defense of the NCAA title!
CCHA rocks! 1984-1986-1988-1992-1994-1996 NCAA titles!
Let's win one in an odd year, eh!