At 09:53 AM 1/16/97 EST, Wayne Smith wrote:

>There are 2 parts to this.  In the initial NCAA findings, TV was banned
>for 1 year, but the NCAA allowed that Maine could delay the penalty from
>this current season to next season if there were contractual problems.
>More recently it has been suggested (perhaps the AD announced?) that the
>exemptions ban could be delayed until next year.  (A 3rd part is the
>appeal of the post-season ban).

I never heard an announcement per se, but this whole thing originated when
rumors were flying around that Maine would drop Colgate from their schedule,
or that they would forfeit a game.

At that point Tyler told me that Maine's schedule would not change because
the NCAA had pushed Maine's exemption penalty (i.e., not being able to use
them) back till next season because the season at already got under way and
it wasn't fair to other insitutions to reschedule games.

>Well, let's not chastise them just because of our speculations.
>Hopefully they have information that we don't.  Otherwise they won't be
>smelling the coffee, it'll be burnt toast.

I agree 100 percent.  My comments previously were meant to indicate that I
have a difficult time believing that Sue Tyler is wrong in what she has
said, even if our rules people can't find the definitive answer in the rule
book.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])