Good article by Ken ... very thorough.

I'll say, however ... it's all well and good that the Union administration
wants to keep the hockey players all the same as the other students, but if you
make a decision to go Division I in a particular sport, you've got to be
willing to pay the piper, you know what I mean?

Unless the administration is willing to give some help to hockey players,
similar to the Ivy Leagues (as the article mentions), I think Union coaches
will be eternally frustrated.

> Clarkson and RPI, where hockey is also the only Division I sport, can
> still give scholarships because those schools were exempted through a
> grandfather clause following an NCAA reclassification process in 1987.

Not sure about this ... Why then is St. Lawrence just starting to give
scholarships? They are only D-I in ice hockey.  I believe any school is allowed
to give scholarships in one Division-I sport, like Hartwick in soccer.  I do
know that Division-I schools were forced to stop playing Division III football,
like St. John's, Dayton, Hofstra, etc...

Adam Wodon - AC Productions
Host: "Around the Rinks" - The only National College Hockey talk show
Listen 24 hours/day, 7 days/week at:
http://www.audionet.com/sports/shows/rinks/