Hockey is on the upswing here in the Garden State (or, as some "wits"
might say Gahden State (By the way, only a hack writer would
write Gahden instead of Garden, or Joisey in stead of Jersey. (The only
people in New Jersey who say Joisey are bennies from New York))). There
has been several new rinks built within several miles of my house, and they
appear to be thriving. Several high schools have even started varsity
programs.
   I attribute the interest to two factors: First, the success of the Devils,
Rangers, and Flyers. The back-to-back cups won by the Rangers and Devils
have had a big effect. Second, the popularity of roller blading and roller
hockey has allowed kids to play a somewhat realistic version of the game
in locales where outdoor ice is a sometime thing. Other, minor factors
include the pathetic New Jersey Nets (they play pituitary ball, kind of),
and the popularity of the Mighty Ducks movies.

   Funny, but its been my experience that when hockey and basketball compete
head to head on equal footing, hockey has often been more popular.
When I lived in Illinois in the mid to late sixties, Black Hawks tickets
were always harder to get that Bulls tickets. I suspect that is NOT the
case these days, but I suspect when Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson retire,
Chicago basketball will come back to earth.
   When I moved to Massachusetts in the earlie seventies, Bruins were more
popular than the Celts, even though the they were coming off they run
of NBA championships. Once again, Larry Bird probably changed all that,
for a while.

Hockey fan and former LISP programer,

Ken Kretsch             | "Coach, my Mom wants me to live for my Bar Mitzvah"
BU '79                  | "Goldberg, this is your Bar Mitzvah. Today you
[log in to unmask]        |  become a man!"